Summary: Reporting to the Director, Physician Revenue Cycle. Ensures accurate and timely coding of physician records according to BMG and its Foundations Policies and Procedures. Directly manages all employees involved in medical records coding /abstracting, provides direction for all physician coding activities, reviews, education, and productivity standards required to reach unbilled targets at all offices. Thorough knowledge of clinical coding & reimbursement topics and experience with electronic medical records required. Project management and advance software skills a must. Performs duties as necessary to support quality improvement process in the coding/revenue charge capture department, as well as that of the physician groups. Must also have strong written and speaking skills as well as good verbal presentation ability.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages a 4 day or less lag time from provider closure of charts.
2. Identifies training needs for staff; designs, develops, schedules, and implements training activities as needs are identified.
3. Provides leadership throughout BMG and Foundations in regards to coding inquiries.
4. Works with CBO to eliminate all holds on all accounts utilizing appropriate software.
5. Responsible for the development and monitoring of the education program for providers and staff throughout BMG and Foundations, in conjunction with the Director, HIM.
6. Creates, reviews, and submits all monthly production goals for coding staff.
7. Develops and implements policies and procedures to assure clear and consistent operation of coding areas while encompassing departmental and organizational needs.
8. Works with operational directors throughout the BMG and Foundations to identify and address any missed opportunities regarding revenue and corrections to daily charges.
9. Provides monthly coding education to all coding staff.
10. Assists with coordination of internal and external compliance audits, including insurance and RACs.
14. Performs all management functions, including interviewing, hiring, training, evaluating, and disciplining for all direct reports.
15. Demonstrates competency in the use of Epic software, as well as all computer applications in area of responsibility.
16. Assigns and schedules the work of direct reports and manages to insure a smooth and efficient workflow. Identifies opportunities for efficiencies, reviews, and implements as approved.
18. Participates in the development and implementation of market goals, policies, procedures and budget.
19. Remains abreast of all developments in the coding field, especially as they apply to coding, reimbursement, and clinical database developments/changes.
20. Maintains all assurance and improvement activities for managed functions
21. Establishes, maintains and updates job descriptions, job standards, and procedures for supervised areas.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Special Skills and Abilities Required
1. The analytical abilities necessary to formulate policies and procedures, prepare various reports and records, assists in the development of department budgets.
2. The interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of department personnel, other departments, physicians and individuals from outside BMG and its Foundations.
Level of knowledge equivalent to an Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information Management Administration, certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). Or Associate or Bachelor’s degree with Certified Professional Coder (CPC) designation.
2. 3-5 years of progressive coding/revenue cycle supervision. Five years of physician and outpatient coding experience, with majority on the physician side. Should be an active member of the American Health Information Management Association and Local Health Information Management Association or Association of Professional Coders and Local Professional Coding Chapter.
3. Epic experience not required but highly desired.